Pursuant to Kansas Administrative Regulation K.A.R. 5-20-2, DWR is conducting a formal review of the June 1, 1984 order establishing the IGUCA. The purpose of the review is to determine whether the public interest requires that the IGUCA designation be continued, and if so, whether there should be any adjustment in the IGUCA’s provisions.
DWR, in cooperation with GMD No. 2, has developed a draft final report of the Burrton IGUCA Review which will be offered for the record at the upcoming public hearing.
- June 11, 1982 by Equus Beds GMD No. 2 Board of Directors
Reasons for Request
- Deteriorating water quality due to high chloride concentrations detected in the groundwater
Public hearing held on August 4, 1982
- Hearing continued to establish a task force.
- Task Force was formed and composed of Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Kansas Geological Survey, Kansas Water Office, Equus Beds GMD No. 2, Kansas Corporation Commission, Kansas Water Authority, Kansas Independent Oil and Gas Producers Association, and area water right holders
- Public hearing continued on February 21, 1984 with Task Force results available
Order issued on June 1, 1984 - Adobe PDF Available
- Unreasonable deterioration of the water quality was occurring
- Corrective controls were needed in order to protect public interest
- Waterflow Meters required in the IGUCA area
- The potential effects of each application should be reviewed using a computer groundwater model
- Additional recommendations by the Task Force would be forwarded to other entities or agencies having jurisdiction or authority
- The potential effects of each application will be reviewed using a computer groundwater model
- Directed the Board of Directors of GMD No. 2 to annually review all hydrologic data and allowed them the ability to request a hearing to amend the IGUCA if deemed necessary
- Required installation of flowmeters
- Task Force recommendations considered and forwarded to pertinent agencies
- Chief engineer can amend the IGUCA if deemed to be in the public interest
- DRAFT Burrton IGUCA Review Report
- Burrton IGUCA Fact Sheet
- Burrton IGUCA Order
- Letter from Equus Beds Groundwater Management District #2 on Participation in the Review
- Letter from DWR announcing the review
The IGUCA statutes are part of the Groundwater Management District Act.