November 4, 2008
Kansas Department of Agriculture
(785) 296-2653 phone
Governor's agriculture advisory board to meet November 18
TOPEKA - The Governor's Agricultural Advisory Board will meet from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2008, at the El Quartelejo Museum, 902 West Highway 96, in Scott City.
The agenda for the meeting includes:
- a report from Secretary of Agriculture Adrian Polansky on agency activities, dairy labeling, biofuels and food prices, Food Export Midwest, TriNational Accord, National Association of State Departments of Agriculture, USDA's proposal to update regulations for biotechnology-derived plants, and the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility;
- an update on legislative issues;
- a report on the consolidation of all food safety and lodging inspection responsibilities within the Kansas Department of Agriculture;
- a report on agriculture security and emergency issues;
- a report on the department's response to late-season fungicide applications;
- a report from Mike Meyer, water commissioner for the division of water resources Garden City field office;
- a report from the Kansas Department of Commerce agriculture marketing division;
- reports on the Kansas State Fair, specialty crop block grants, Grape and Wine Industry Advisory Council, rural development and the 2008 Communication Officers of State Departments of Agricultural annual meeting.
The meeting will include time for public comment.
Individuals who would like a meeting agenda, or would like to attend the meeting personally, should notify Ginger Patterson at (785) 296-3902.
Individuals who want to attend the meeting and who require special accommodations must make their needs known to Patterson at least three days prior to the meeting.